This Municipal General Cemetery has been in use since 1828. Before that time funerals were always connected to the Church and the dead were buried in the church or alongside it. In 1868 a new regulation was introduced, which determined placement of burial based on a persons tax classificatoin. These were referred to as `’class-boxes no. 1 to 5.`’ At that time, people were willing to pay the extra taxes in order to be buried in a higher spot. This regulation ended before WW2. Originally the cemetery was largely surrounded by a canal. Due to the increase in the number of cars at the funerals, in 1965 the canal was filled up for the construction of a better access road and car parking.